[LMB] flimsys? added stout and gun

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Nov 27 14:32:03 GMT 2015

> On Nov 27, 2015, at 7:14 AM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>> Apart from some insertions for flavour, Tolkien didn't write LotR in
>>> Elvish.
>>>
>>> It's a well-trodden road, writing future, past or imaginary words in
>>> modern dialogue with a few trigger words.
>>
>> With some funny rules - for instance, an author had better not “fire” arrows in ancient Egypt.
>
> Better not "fire" arrows in any period, unless they're fire-arrows.
> That's a Hollywood notion.

But there is a difference in assumptions when people are speaking Ancient Egyptian (in English).

I remember reading people complaining that Sean Connery’s Scottish accent was inappropriate in the movie “The Hunt for Red October”.    But Marko Ramius was a Lithuanian speaking Russian (which Connery did in English).   Nothing could be more appropriate than using a Scott for that role.