[LMB] Real Life echoes fiction

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Fri Nov 27 19:16:04 GMT 2015

[LMB] Real Life echoes fiction
baur baur at chello.at
Fri Nov 27 07:04:37 GMT 2015

MB:  bessed are the republics, because they dont have to
worry about THAt kind of thing)

LMB:  Not so; it could be a point of strong contention in any case where
there was some significant inheritance in play, monetary or other, or
desired status at risk or up for grabs.

It will indeed be interesting to see how the court rules.  It may have
to go to Parliament (in fact, likely will, on appeal.)  The court can't
just say DNA evidence can't count, because there are and will be
contemporary cases.  Setting a "grandfather" (heh) date, before which it
doesn't count, also seems a job for the legislature.  Letting the suit
go the the plaintiff opens up a whole barrel of worms, although, I can't
help reflecting, future job security for the British legal profession,
so that may be a draw for the judges.

http://www.amazon.com/Uncommon-Law-Being-Misleading-Cases/dp/1558820396/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1448651599&sr=1-1&keywords=uncommon+law

  is again recommended.

Ta, L.

 > Gordon Jackson <gordon at gordonj.net> hat am 27. November 2015 um 01:55
 > geschrieben:
 >

 > A case has been referred to Britain's highest court because genetic
analysis
 > has shown that the 8th Baronet Stichill was not the son of the 9th
Baronet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/12015334/DNA-ruling-over-ill