[LMB] OT: Aging Discussiong, was another hyphenation dilemma

Walter S Bushell proto at panix.com
Thu Oct 1 13:22:59 BST 2015

> On Sep 30, 2015, at 20:37, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:
>

>> On Sep 30, 2015, at 5:54 PM, Paula Lieberman <paal at filker.org> wrote:
>>
>> Meanwhile, "invite" used as a noun instead of using "invitation" rasps me, as does "reveal" instead of "revelation" or "unveiling" or "announcement" or "views" instead of "viewings" when referring to e.g. looking at webpages.
>
> Me too.    Doesn’t each generation go through this when the language changes from our personal “right” version?     There are lots of words we accept as natural which previous generations complained about.

English as she is spoke is a weed language, which is a reason it has conquered the world,
at least as a second language. French has an official version and an actual version where
the official language is only used in official context, like propositions or  proposals to
the government. My take is that there are a whole category of French people whose job is
to officialize[1] documents to be submitted to the government.

[1] sick — On the gripping hand Shakespeare might have Donne the same thing.
<http://www.ralphmag.org/fuller.html>

Swift had pains in his head.
Johnson dying in bed
Tapped the dropsy himself.