[LMB] OT: Floss (ugh) was M/F LMB Readership

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 21:23:14 BST 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 3:56 PM, <mmjustus at mmjustus.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2015, at 13:47, Sylvia McIvers <sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Multi-level stores preclude wheelchairs.
>>

> In the U.S., not providing an elevator for these folks would be a
> violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  I don't think I've ever
> been in a multi-level store that didn't make some accommodation for folks
> who can't climb stairs.
>
> Megaera
> --

There are some stores in my area that are not quite 2 levels as in one
level, a flight of stairs, another level. But because the ground is not
quite even, there's a single step abut halfway through the store. So when
my knee is bad, I don't shop the back of the store. When I used to have a
baby pram, I never made it to the back of the store. A wheelchair might
actually be able to make it up that step, since there's usually a clear
space for a few paces past the step, enough to maneuver.

I'm not sure how the ADA affects stores like this. There's not need for an
elevator/escalator, but a ramp instead of a step would be nice :(

The house I grew up in  had a step like that, and my mom had it changed to
a ramp because of babies in wheeled bouncy-walkers needed the safe road.

Sylvia