[LMB] OT: Floss (ugh) was M/F LMB Readership

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 22:50:07 BST 2015

On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 16:23:14 -0400, Sylvia McIvers
<sylviamcivers at gmail.com> wrote:

>> In the U.S., not providing an elevator for these folks would be a
>> violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act.  I don't think I've ever
>> been in a multi-level store that didn't make some accommodation for folks
>> who can't climb stairs.

>There are some stores in my area that are not quite 2 levels as in one
>level, a flight of stairs, another level. But because the ground is not
>quite even, there's a single step abut halfway through the store. So when
>my knee is bad, I don't shop the back of the store. When I used to have a
>baby pram, I never made it to the back of the store. A wheelchair might
>actually be able to make it up that step, since there's usually a clear
>space for a few paces past the step, enough to maneuver.
>
>I'm not sure how the ADA affects stores like this. There's not need for an
>elevator/escalator, but a ramp instead of a step would be nice :(

There's a similar provision in the UK, and there are some exemptions -
for very old or small shops and other premises, where the cost of
remediation would be unreasonable (e.g. a nightclub on the top floor of
an old building with a spiral staircase).

I'm sure the ADA has some loopholes too.