[LMB] OT: Floss (ugh) was M/F LMB Readership

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 04:49:43 BST 2015

> From: Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com

> There are some stores in my area that are not quite 2 levels as in one
> level, a flight of stairs, another level. But because the ground is not
> quite even, there's a single step abut halfway through the store. So when
> my knee is bad, I don't shop the back of the store. When I used to have a
> baby pram, I never made it to the back of the store. A wheelchair might
> actually be able to make it up that step, since there's usually a clear
> space for a few paces past the step, enough to maneuver.
> Sylvia

One of the items on my manifesto is handrails. Every step and stair should
have handrails.  I was amazed when I was in Europe to see how many places
had steps, often slippery or uneven, and no handrails. Including the Parthenon.
(Marble steps, very uneven, wet and slippery from the rain, and no handrails.
And I STILL managed to get to the top - determination is powerful.)

Gwynne