[LMB] The evolution of Ivan - how did his conception change over time?

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 16 02:47:16 BST 2015

> From: Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com

> Gwynne: But Ivan in CVA is certainly a different creature to Ivan in WA. The
> boy did grow up. And I'd love to see him as an ambassador, I think
> he'll be awesome. In his own way. (Actually he'd be an incredible
> negotiator - by the time they realise he's not the idiot he seems to
> be, he's slid them into agreeing to whatever he wants.)
>
> es: But -- doesn't an ambassador need to be sensitive to the people he is representing and the people to whom he's representing his country? Ivan isn't interested in plebs or the mass of people. He would be fine at playing the highly sophisticated games of ambassadorship, but ignorant of the welfare of his constituents. I think he is best at organization -- a sort of Dwight D. Eisenhower in that specific regard.

Ivan has a strong sense of right and wrong - more so than most of the
others (Miles notes this frequently - he told Mark about his seizures
because Mark would do what he wanted, Ivan would do what was right.)
Ivan protects. He has an instinct to stand up for people - when first meeting
Rish he is, of course, struck by the blueness. His instant reaction - if she
chose it, that's fine, but if it was done to her, that's just wrong. When Ivan
takes Mark to see Gregor he's dismissed three times before he goes - he
doesn't want to leave Gregor at risk. Most people don't need to be told
three times, by the emperor, to do something. Ivan will stand for what
he sees as right.

As an ambassador he's working for the interests of Barrayar. I can see
him doing that well, he's got good political sense. And he'd be a
deceptively efficient negotiator, he seems so gormless, but he's...not.

And yes, very good at organisation. He presents as being lazy, but he's
actually ruthlessly efficient.

Gwynne