[LMB] Blackstone news

Nancy L. Barber nlbarber at alum.emory.edu
Sat Oct 17 22:47:27 BST 2015

On Oct 17, 2015, at 3:46 PM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:

> Then there's the sharing knife stories, which is a very good reading,
> but a few pronunciations there bug me too: bowdown, so I always thought,
> should always rhyme with "slow", not "now" (becoming hoedown), and similar
> for the West Blue town clerk, named sower, should rhyme with slow, or no,
> not sow as in female pig.

I asked about those a while back, and Lois confirmed what you (and I) thought—bowdown is like hoedown, and Shep Sower is a sower-of-seeds.

What bugs me the most about The Sharing Knife reading is when she switches back and forth between pronunciations, most notably with Arkady.  It’s "ARK ay dee" one  time and “ar KAY dee” the next, sometimes within the same sentence.  "ARK ay dee”  is the way I read it, so the other really jars. I agree, though, that generally it’s a very good reading.

   Nancy