[LMB] OT: Is the world about to end?

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Mon Oct 19 13:27:57 BST 2015

> On Oct 19, 2015, at 1:31 AM, Raymond Collins <rcrcoll6 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>       We're suffering from sensory overload. Too much information is
> hitting us all at the same  time.

And filtering it has its own problems.   No matter how radical our world view is, we can find others to make our view seem like the natural norm.   Software helps filter what it thinks we want to see on the Internet.

Fiction has an interesting dilemma.   We are bombarded with shows and advertisements for over-the-top violent actions, creating expectations of what we wish to see or read.     Do we go along with the flow or do we tell stories in more toned down worlds?

Futuristic fiction in particular has to realize that we are already in a time when ubiquitous connectivity has made big changes in old fictional tropes.