[LMB] Bujold in translation: gendered modifiers

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 19 18:19:39 BST 2015

On 10/19/2015 1:12 PM, Louann Miller wrote:
>   I'm now studying Spanish, which means the requirement to
> specify gender all over the sentence is at the top of my mind. How has this
> been handled in cases like Bel Thorne or various ba characters?

Good question - I think the Ba can just use the neutral [he, she it -
the it format] because the Ba are gender neutral. Herms are the real
issue, I think. Using 'it' could be seen as insulting. Sort of like
being called a 'thing', instead of "So what does *she* think" it would
be more like " So what does *it* <meaning in a snide voice 'that thing
over there'> think" if that makes sense.

---