[LMB] OT: Is the world about to end?

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Mon Oct 19 22:48:08 BST 2015

But I typed IS/ISIL short for IS which is the latest designation for what
had been using ISIL.

I did NOT type "ISIS"

As for calling them a name they hate,  I try to avoid using the term
"fundies" for evangelical Christians of attitudes and behavior I find
detestable, try to avoid using terms such as "holy rollers," and try to
avoid using terms that groups consider derogatory--some are in such
detestation I won't mention them here (hint, consider deprecating terms for
ethnicities, etc.... Oh, here's one that's sort of offensive, but it's a
quote from 30 years ago, from Somtow Sucharitkul/S. P. Somtow:  "He called
me a Gook! I'm not a Gook, I'm a Dink! [perjorative at the time for
Thai.]!!"

It's not that I do not find IS thoroughly appalling, revolting, horrific,
abominable.... It's that however loathsome they may be/I regard them,
applying a deprecatory name, isn't ging to improve the situation anyone.
Disrepect does not make someone cease being offensive, sometimes it causes
them to be even -more- malevolent, it's waving the cape at the bull and
further inciting it to murderous furious mad attack.

--Paula Lieberman