[LMB] eARC for Kindle app on iPad?

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Oct 23 17:26:29 BST 2015

> On Oct 23, 2015, at 9:57 AM, Carol Botteron <botteron at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>
> When I buy a book (e.g. Penric's Demon) from Amazon using my Mac, it immediately
> appears in the Kindle app on my iPad.  I'd like to buy the eARC of GJ&RQ and read
> it in the Kindle app on my iPad.
>
> I have not bought ebooks from Baen before and don't see what to do.  I asked on
> the LMB Facebook page yesterday and got several replies that seem to go in various
> directions.  I don't understand any of them.
>
> Could someone please walk me through the process in tiny baby steps?  There may
> be other people here with the same problem.  adTHANKSvance!

I just went to http://www.baenebooks.com/p-2892-gentleman-jole-and-the-red-queen-earc.aspx

I see that I already bought this book and have the following options (similar options were available when I first bought it - along with a link that discussed Kindle):

Gentleman Jole and the Red Queen - eARC

 Read Online
 Email book to Me
Download Unzipped Files

 Ebookwise/Rocket Format
 Mobi/Palm/Kindle Format
 EPUB/Nook/Stanza Format
 Microsoft Reader Format
 Sony Digital Reader Format
 RTF Format
Download Zip Files

 HTML Format Zip
 Ebookwise/Rocket Format Zip
 Mobi/Palm/Kindle Format Zip
 EPUB/Nook/Stanza Format Zip
 Microsoft Reader Format Zip
 Sony Digital Reader Format Zip
 RTF Format Zip

The Kindle has as one of its native formats “Mobi”.    I can download a Mobi.    If you know how to unzip, you can use that option, otherwise, select the first Mobi version.

Now that you have the .mobi on your computer, plug your Kindle into your computer.    What kind of computer do you have (Windows, Mac?).    What you want to do now is to drag the .mobi book to your Kindle.

There used to be an option to tell Baen to send it via Amazon (with a slight charge), but I think that option is gone.