[LMB] GJ&RQ - First thoughts

Alexandra Kwan litalex at gmail.com
Sun Oct 25 08:02:37 GMT 2015

Hello,

> On 25 Oct, 2015, at 7:26 am, Zeev Tarantov <zeev.tarantov at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Sat, Oct 24, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Lois McMaster Bujold <
> lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
>
>> [LMB] GJ&RQ - First thoughts
>> Bill Welch moremoth at gmail.com
>> Sat Oct 24 18:19:42 BST 2015
>>

>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils ...
>>
>> spoils …
>>

> While reading the "provide a sample in a cup" scene, I was really puzzled
> why a cheek swab or a computer permission to share his full genome (which
> is on file) would not be enough. IRL one can download one's sequenced

Because making little sperm cells from a regular cell is still more work than directly getting sperm cells? Why go for the more complicated path when there’s an easier path?

> What happened to _that_? Coming back from visiting her mother to find out
> her husband is now screwing his secretary is not a nice surprise. Being

I assume she and Aral did talk about it before Aral try to initiate a physical relationship?

> More exploration of how that relationship could have been established and
> maintained would have been educational, I think.

Actually, I agree that there should be more detail. I’d love some more details on how it began.

> Was Bel Thorne already with Nicole when he and Oliver Jole had that week
> together?

I don’t think so? I don’t think Jole had a chance to go to Quaddie space.

> In summary, I kept waiting for something to happen and nothing happened.
> Like an anti-joke.

That was my feelings, too, but perhaps it’s a more reflective than adventure book.

little Alex