[LMB] eARC questions

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Oct 26 02:03:09 GMT 2015

[LMB] eARC questions
Michael Bauminger lmblist at mikebomb.com
Mon Oct 26 00:56:42 GMT 2015

Delurking to ask two questions:

1. Are there going to be any differences between the eARC and the published
book?

LMB:  It should be cleaner of typos.  Perhaps a few word changes, if
they seem needed enough.  I do not plan any large-scale rewriting.

2. Does our Authoress get more, less, or the same money for an eARC sale as
opposed to a standard eBook sale?

LMB:  The author gets the most money for an eARC sale.

There is an argument to be made, though not by me, that the hardcover
sales in the first two weeks are important for chasing bestseller
lists.  But I have rather gone off chasing bestseller lists in late
years -- they are pretty much a mirage.  My books are for the long haul.

There are many PR exercises which, while perhaps important for building
a career, are of less moment for a career already built. And there are
many more that are a complete waste of time and energy, although no one
is sure which are which.  I am trying to cut back in this area.

So, in short, if you hanker for the eARC, go for it.

Ta, L.