[LMB] a few more new-e-cover issues

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Tue Sep 1 21:25:55 BST 2015

On Tue, September 1, 2015 12:51 pm, Lois McMaster Bujold wrote:
> Now I face the question of "extras", besides the essential three of
> title-author-series ID.  I plan to skip blurbs.  Ditto, probably, "New York
> Times Bestselling Whatever" as both those seem to me to be stuck on
> to appeal to the accounts (bookstore and wholesaler) buyers, not the
> readers.   The two puzzles are awards, when pertinent, and series order
> numbers.   Which extras matter to you, as new readers approaching a new
> book?

As an SF reader, "Hugo Winner" and "Hugo Finalist" (you got on the voting
list -- "Hugo Nominee" used to mean this, but technically anything that
gets one nomination from the author's pet poodle is a "nominee") would
both be good to know.

> I'd always resisted numbering my series, instead for these e-books
> adding as an appendix my own more fluid reading-order recs essay. But
> that's rather after-the-fact when trying to get folks to click on the
> first one.  Amazon and other on-line vendors have lately insisted, and I
> threw up my hands and selected series-internal-chronology order, which,
> weirdly, puts _Falling Free_ as #1 even tho' it has no Vorkosigans, and of
> course is going to be a mess if I ever do another prequel.  Also, I never
> want to discourage a reader from buying the book he has in his hand.  But
> I know as a reader myself, I do look for those numbers to
> make a selection.  So.  Thoughts?

I'd rather order them by publication order in this case.  You don't have
to renumber if there's another prequel anywhere.  Plus I think the reading
experience works better.  But I don't have a strong preference in this
case.

Tony Z