[LMB] a few more new-e-cover issues

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 2 04:03:13 BST 2015

 > From: Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com

> Now I face the question of "extras", besides the essential three of
> title-author-series ID.  I plan to skip blurbs.  Ditto, probably, "New
> York Times Bestselling Whatever" as both those seem to me to be stuck on
> to appeal to the accounts (bookstore and wholesaler) buyers, not the
> readers.   The two puzzles are awards, when pertinent, and series order
> numbers.   Which extras matter to you, as new readers approaching a new
> book?

Hugo Winner, or finalist (or other similar awards.)

For series, rather than number them, I'd peg it to Miles's age. Although that
doesn't work for Falling Free or Ethan of Athos. Maybe just a prominent
chronological order within the series.  Numbering them is very limiting - and
what about the shorter works? What if you have an overwhelming urge to write
a novella that sits early in the series - you'd have to renumber them all.

A prominent 'Beginning of the Vorkosigan series....' for Shards (Falling Free would be
'How it all Began...' maybe.) After Shards, anyone who's interested, which would be
anyone who's read it, can look up the reading order - that's why God gave us Wiki
and Google.

The time line in the books is the best way to know what to read next.

Gwynne