[LMB] a few more new-e-cover issues

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Sep 2 16:52:08 BST 2015

Also, it might ruin the entire series for the most fervent romance readers.
I've seen readers who posted they were in avoidance to reading Cryoburn
because they didn't want to read the the on-paper finality of Aral's demise
presented to them.  I forget whether it was in here or another newsgroups,
where I suggested the person read to the end of the time on Kibou-Dari, and
not read the end section following it (where the salutation to Miles bears
the bad news).

Romance afficionadoes less fervent about insistence on HEA for ever and ever
and no dead romantic leads from previous books actually on-page, and
particularly no funerals for them, can enjoy the romances in Shards, in
Komarr/ACC, there's Elena and Baz as minor character HEA in TWA, there's
CVA, there's SIlver and Leo, Ethan and Terence (m/m SFR or m/m erotic SF
sells very well in ebooks....) ... Elli and Miles to a degree are HFN (Happy
for Now--quite clearly NOT a permanent arrangemennt, but somewhat in keeping
with HFN conventions) .. Cryoburn, SPLAT!  No romance elements. Someone
already invested in Lois' work who can put up with books which don't have
the romance content, when most of the series does, and are invested in the
characters and their universe and want to read more about them, perhaps can
withstand Cryoburn... but for someone who's primarily a romance reader, and
has heard good things about Lois as a Artisan in science fiction
romance/romantic science fiction, Cryoburn is probably the worst possible
introduction to Lois' work, and something which might even drive them off in
aversion.

--Paula Lieberman