[LMB] a few more new-e-cover issues

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Sep 2 17:59:52 BST 2015

That was someone else's response to me.
Repeating from a different post I wrote, I very strongly suspect there are
readers who if they come first to Cryoburn, will eschew Lois' Nexus, if not
her non-Nexus, books forever after.

The impact of the death of one of Cryoburn's more minor characters (not
minor in the overall universe/timeline, but a minor character who' really
offpage in Cryoburn, and less minor that Godot who's being waited for and
never shows in the play Waiting for Godot... consider if someone at the end
of Waiting for Godot announced something which indicated Godot had died),
within the context of Cryoburn is a lot less meaningful/pognant than coming
to Cryoburn from the books preceding it.  Aral's a sickly old man mentioned
at the start of Cryoburn, and the body in the coffin at the end of the book.
He's essentially irrelevant to the proceedings occurring on Kibou-Dari.
He's meaningful in Cryoburn intrinsically only as Mile's ailing father who's
mentioned early in the book, an in Miles elevation to Count Vorkosigan and
the grief of the mourners at the end of the book.  It's irrelevant, again,
to the issues on Kibou-Dari.  It adds another dimension to the main
plotlines of the proceedings on Kibou-Dari, but, again, is not necessary for
them.  Take away the framing material, and there is nonetheless an integral
novel there.  The material about Aral, as regards Cryoburn as standalone, is
a gloss which is not organic to the Kibou-Dari plots.   The material is
critical as regards the life of Lord later Count Miles Vorkosigan, but if
one is not invested in Miles Vorkosigan, it's again, not a
necessary/relevant intrinsically part of the book.

And readers who don't want tragedy, I would expect, unwarned and unpresaged,
are going to be annoyed.

--Paula Lieberman