[LMB] CoC 25: three-scene cataclysm

Beatrice Otter beatrice_otter at haugensgalleri.com
Thu Sep 3 02:09:09 BST 2015

> On Sep 2, 2015, at 10:40 AM, JA Tallman <lettuce.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Until Bergon and Iselle come out into the daylight, smiling and in love,
>>> with shadow boiling around them both like the smoke of a burning ship.
>>>
>>> Query: did you see this one coming, or not?
>>
>> Not.
>> --
> ===
>
> Really? I never thought it would work. Ista was sucked into the curse when
> she married into it. Just because Bergon was male made no difference.

I think of the old Biblical phrase, "the two become one flesh."  Which is literally what happens in sex (necessary to consummate a marriage) and then in the conception and birth of any children. That is the biological basis of marriage, and LMB is a very biologically minded person. Leaving one family to join another may be a cultural view of marriage, but it's not physically true. You are the same person, joined to another person. I don't tend to imagine that gods follow human cultural conventions unless otherwise stated so there's no reason for it to have worked.
Besides, Caz is trying to logic his way through the curse because he doesn't like the implications of Ista's vision and doesn't want to be drowned and revived 2x.  That seems like an awful lot of wishful thinking, and I knew from that conversation forward that it wasn't going to work.
Beatrice Otter