[LMB] CoC: Chapter 23, Extent of Violence

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 3 04:51:36 BST 2015

On Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 05:28:40PM -0400, Elizabeth Stowe wrote:
> es: I just can't give Ser dy Joal any kind of out. I think he wasn't
> affected by the curse.

I tend to agree.  The curse is very specifically _seen_ on Fonsa's
blood relations.  I suspect it can influence others only via its
hosts -- dy Jironal is affected by Orico's words and actions and
reactions, and willingness to yield a dominant position to him.
(One wonders how well an earlier, less-ill, less-worn Orico might
have handled things.)

> I'm not particularly sure that Martou dy Jironal set dy Joal onto
> this escapade although dy Jironal would have applauded it if it had
> been successful.

As Caz points out, dy Joal could only have learned in time to get here
from dy Jironal's information net.  I suspect that there was at least
some collaboration, perhaps of the wink-wink-nudge-nudge "who will rid
me of this troublesome secretary?" variety rather than direct plotting.
(Dondo is brutally direct with Caz -- _can_ he be subtle?  Dy Jironal
would be much more aware of the need to be able to avoid direct
accusations of his involvement in the murder of the Heiress' secretary
if things should go haywire.)

> I think Ser dy Joal represents the remnants of the sort of evil a
> man like Dondo promotes and therefore lets loose on the world. He'd
> torture and murder regardless of the curse.

Most likely -- and there are likely many such men in Chalion, after
all these decades of war.  One of Iselle and Bergon's tests will
be to see what use they can make of them in the kingdom they are
building.

Tony Zbaraschuk

--
The most important thing in the kitchen is the waste paper basket
and it needs to be centrally located.  -- Donald Knuth