[LMB] CoC 25: three-scene cataclysm

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 3 05:14:45 BST 2015

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 07:47:58PM -0400, Elizabeth Stowe wrote:
> Tony: Cazaril is resting, then gets dragooned into writing letters for Iselle.
> es: I seem to remember Cazaril coming up with something for Iselle
> to do when he worried that she might take it into her head to do
> something . . . unsettling. I remember. He told her to sit with
> Sara. Well, now perhaps Iselle is using the same strategy.

Iselle is learning at a dizzying rate -- but I think we should consider
that Betriz both genuinely cares for Cazaril, and knows his skills and
talents will be this point, so she might be advising her mistress for
two (or more) reasons.

> "I'd storm heaven for you, if I knew where it was." Betriz says.
>
> Caz changes the topic.

But note the "storm heaven" line, which will come up again...

> Tony: Query: is this his integrity, or his pride?  Wo is
> really the fool in this argument?
>
> es: Caz is really the fool in this argument.

Tend to agree, but it's worth an argument :)  And Betriz is still
persistently missing the point of how the gods work.  I suspect
her limited theological education has something to do with it; like
Iselle, her education likely focused on the pious duties to be done,
and not on the time when one's will is laid aside, an offering on
the altar, and the saint waints patiently to let the god(s) work
what only They can work.

> Another aspect of Caz and Betriz's relationship that I love is that,
> whether or not Caz is a fool at this moment, Betriz doesn't break
> things off. She is going to hang on in there as tenaciously as Caz
> hangs onto his quest. Perhaps more so.

Persistence, oh yes, very good.  (Compare Ista's persistence
just before the climax of _PoS_...)

Tony Z

--
The most important thing in the kitchen is the waste paper basket
and it needs to be centrally located.  -- Donald Knuth