[LMB] CoC 25: three-scene cataclysm

Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:32:32 BST 2015

Tony: And Betriz is still
persistently missing the point of how the gods work.  I suspect
her limited theological education has something to do with it; like
Iselle, her education likely focused on the pious duties to be done,
and not on the time when one's will is laid aside, an offering on
the altar, and the saint waints patiently to let the god(s) work
what only They can work.

es: In this story it is necessary for the potential saint to become a vessel. That is the image Umegat paints for Caz. But Ista is in the wings and in just a few years her story will tell of a less compliant saint. Your suggestion that education enforces piety is interesting. By your thinking, saints' stories would be about individuals who are dutiful to their Gods being the ones who are Used by Them. Right? I really want to hear the tale of the maiden and the jug.

Gwynne: I think Caz sees it partly as the price he's paying for the death-magic, he
has to disengage from the world.

es: Ah, you and Tony make good points about how Betriz's and Caz's separate thoughts impact their conversation.

Walter: For sure, even Ordel put the Lady of Spring a nice lady instead of
an awe inspiring figure as we shall see in Chapter 27. Better to
keep the common people including here the nobility and most of the
clergy ignorant otherwise the half witted fans will get out of control.
Anything a bump on the head perhaps or the wrong mushroom and ?I?m a
saint, the goddess spoke to me!? and all kinds of ego inflation.

The true nature of the Gods is best kept secret and reveled on a
need to know basis.

es: Do other folks on the listserv share Walter's interpretation? Do the Gods purposefully avoid letting humans understand Them and Their Ways?
(I capitalize in order to make the antecedents of the pronouns clear.)