[LMB] now not a few more new-e-cover issues

Tony Zbaraschuk tonyz at eskimo.com
Thu Sep 3 23:38:37 BST 2015

On Thu, September 3, 2015 2:44 pm, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:08:32 -0500 (CDT), Lois McMaster Bujold
> <lbujold at myinfmail.com> wrote:
>

>> LMB:  Curiously, when I had a Vorkosiverse novice test-read the
>> manuscript of _Cryoburn_, he did not process the ending as unhappy, but
>> rather, as "Oh, cool -- Miles gets a promotion!"  Which rather took me
>> aback, but there you go.  It was more some of the highly invested _old_
>>  readers who sounded ready to swear off Bujold at the end of
>> _Cryoburn_.
>

> To someone new to the series, Aral is just off-screen back-story.
>

> It's those of us who love the character that regretted his early
> passing.

Seems reasonable.  It does mean that Aral's death might not be experienced
as nearly as much of a loss if you didn't already know Aral.

(And I wouldn't call it an "early" passing, except perhaps from Cordelia's
Betan viewpoint -- it was, so far as we know these things, a good death in
due season, at the end of a long and (finally) successful life.)

Tony Z