[LMB] bemused by bemused

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 4 05:03:25 BST 2015

I would like it very much if you remained a pioneer for the changing English
language by keeping "bemused." Although, the third definition in Merriam-Webster
online seems to support your position, too.

to cause to have feelings of wry or tolerant amusement <seems truly bemused that
people beyond his circle in Seattle would be interested in his ruminations  — Ruth
B. Smith

I feel this is one of your signature words. The other one that springs to mind is
when someone "twigs" (finally understands, has that large clue-brick drop) to
something. It flavors your writing, and I'd miss it if you went strictly for first-definition words.

Micki