[LMB] CoC 25: three-scene cataclysm

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:23:17 BST 2015

> From: Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com

> Walter: For sure, even Ordel put the Lady of Spring a nice lady instead of
> an awe inspiring figure as we shall see in Chapter 27. Better to
> keep the common people including here the nobility and most of the
> clergy ignorant otherwise the half witted fans will get out of control.
> Anything a bump on the head perhaps or the wrong mushroom and ?I?m a
> saint, the goddess spoke to me!? and all kinds of ego inflation.
> The true nature of the Gods is best kept secret and revealed on a
> need to know basis.

> es: Do other folks on the listserv share Walter's interpretation? Do the Gods purposefully avoid letting humans understand Them and Their Ways?
> (I capitalize in order to make the antecedents of the pronouns clear.)

I'm not sure that it's kept secret as part of some policy. To me it seems that
those few who've had the full-on godly experience simply don't have the words
to describe it to others. Caz tries poetry, with mixed results. And despite all the
love, trust and respect they have for him, his nearest and dearest have a sneaking
suspicion he's drivelling on a bit when he tries to describe his experience.

Maybe some of the others learned to tone it down, and use terms that non-saints
would understand and accept.

Gwynne