[LMB] now not a few more new-e-cover issues

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Fri Sep 4 15:38:01 BST 2015

Different readers, different protocols.

Again, I've been in online contact with people who shied away from reading
Cryoburn, and with people who don't want to read a book with a downer
ending.  I suggested to such readers, to stop reading Cryoburn before the
denouement.

I was thinking about some other series earlier today, in which there is an
HFN/HEA end of book (e.g. Mahogany Trinrose I think the book was by
Jacqueline LIchtenberg) but which later up the timeline in the series there
was mention than the protagonist had not survived for all that long beyond
the end of the book. HOWEVER, the death was long past in any later books, so
the readers weren't faced with the death of lead/romantic major plot
participant of another book in the series.

It might be "cheating" in the sense of the writer No Going There, but it
spares readers (and authors) who don't want to deal with the angst of the
on-the-page immediacy of the death of a mate-bonded protagonist of one of
the major books in a series, character.

Again, romance readers get particularly upset by it.

I wonder if the next book, might not be an entry point--Aral's death is gone
and past in it ,I presume, Aral's history and the characters are in a
post-Aral era.   Readers going to Shards of Honor and Barrayar after reading
the forthcoming book, would be seeing Aral as a key figure in Cordelia's
past, as opposed to coming from the other direction, of having Aral on the
brain as Past History.

--Paula Lieberman