[LMB] Already dead

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Sep 4 17:15:58 BST 2015

> On Sep 4, 2015, at 9:24 AM, Gwynne Powell <gwynnepowell at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> I know this is probably illogical, but if I'd read Cryoburn first I don't think I'd
> have engaged with Aral so much, since he would be 'already dead' in my mind.

It’s funny how our brains work.    We can read a historical novel, knowing that every character has been “dead” for a long time, and feel the loss of a character’s death.    How he dies doesn’t matter much.

Having read other novels in this series, Aral is part of our history even though it is in an unlikely future.    We know he’s going to die - and again it doesn’t matter how he dies - we are in the present when we learn about it and morn him.    We can bring him back to life at any time though.