[LMB] graphic art

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sat Sep 5 14:41:29 BST 2015

I doubt those are the covers of the future--there's a new smartphone out
with a extremely high resolution display (probably a lot higher than
whatever most of the people here are reading the List emails on), meaning
fine details will show up and nuances in imges.

Those grapic design covers to me look like the computer equivalent of crude
stick drawings, and I've never liked stick drawings.. if there are going to
be simplified icon-type images, I would much prefer things with curvilinear
style, flowers with color gradations in high contrast with intense to much
less intense variation (even if there is only one color).

The human vision system does edge-sharpening.  E. g. there's something
called "Mach banding" which creates visual artifact of what looks like
banding, even though the color gradation is really continuous.   The vision
system also creates spurious lines, due to edge-sharpening, or people seeing
lines which aren't there.  I think that that sort of thing, is one of the
reasons why I don't like the graphics I mentioned not liking.

Higher resolution displays mean that those look-crude graphics images will
probably look even uglier!

--Paula Lieberman