[LMB] bemused by bemused

Jim Parish jparish at siue.edu
Sat Sep 5 20:56:43 BST 2015

Lois McMaster Bujold spoke of:
> sometimes having been positively wrong myself (see: raddled, which
> does not mean diseased, but should.  I suppose I was conflating it
> with "riddled".)

If it's any consolation, I think Poul Anderson was similarly confused.
In _There Will Be Time_, he writes (of a visit to Constantinople in 1195
by a time traveller):

"His prior visit had been to halcyon 1050. The magnificence he now
encountered, the liveliness and cosmopolitan colorfulness, were no less.
However raddled her dominion, New Rome remained the queen of Europe."

I really can't interpret "raddled", there, as intended to mean "rouged";
"tattered" seems more likely.

Jim Parish