[LMB] CoC: Chapter 26, Part the Last: Ferdinand and Isabella

Jennifer Johnson jennifer.johnson2557 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 6 19:03:33 BST 2015

On 6 September 2015 at 10:09, Elizabeth Stowe <estowe427 at gmail.com> wrote:
> "They will be vastly unlucky in their children. He knew it suddenly, with cold clarity. The whole of their scheme for peace and order rode upon the hope of a strong, bright heir to follow them both. They would pour themselves until empty into children miscarried, dead, mad, exiled, betrayed. . ."
>
> That pretty much describes Ferdinand and Isabella's experience, even as they themselves succumbed to religious extremism and thirst for power. I prefer fiction to history for a sense of order.

That line also sends shivers up my spine. From wikipedia, Isabella
suffered "the death of her beloved son and heir and the miscarriage of
his wife, the death of her daughter Isabella and Isabella's son
Miguel, the madness of her daughter Joanna..." And that doesn't even
count the stillbirth of one child and poor Catherine of Aragorn, aka
wife one of Henry VIII.