[LMB] OT: sheep, was bemused by bemused

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Sun Sep 6 23:51:32 BST 2015

Sheep are uncommon in the USA--there's lamb in supermarkets but it's
expensive,and I've -never- seen sheep's milk in supermarket.  There are
occasional imported cheeses made with sheep milk, and the even more
occasional domestic cheese made with sheep milk--domestic goat milk cheeses
are MUCH more common, and supermarkets I go to typically have several brands
of goat cheeses and multiple different types of cheese (goat gouda from
Holland, soft goat cheese made in the USA from two or three different
suppliers, one of them having a plain type and one with cranberries).  The
supermarkets have canned goat milk and sometimes fresh--the fresh doesn;t
sell well enough to be in most of the stored. I can't recall -ever- seeing
sheep milk in the supermarkets.

(On the other hand, the only markets/supermarkets places I've seen goat meat
are Asian grocery stores.)

Sheep flocks in the northeastern USA are -small-, and the best-known ones
aren't commercial--e.g. there's a flock of sheep, goats, and a guard llama
at the historic Gore Place estate in Waltham, MA.  There's a large spring
festival there with sheepshearing being one of the attractions.   The goats
are a special breed known as "fainting goats" which get used in medical
research (though not that particular flock) for studying epilepsy.   Old
Sturbridge Village also has a non-commercial flock.

Anyway, "raddle" is a term most people in the USA have little to no
awareness of--many have never seen a live flock of sheep in person, much
less have any familiarity with sheep breeding procedures!

--Paula Lieberman