[LMB] Attract vs. chased

Elin B elbju at yahoo.se
Mon Sep 7 10:00:28 BST 2015

Alex Y. Kwan wrote:
>Hello,

>On 7 September 2015 at 11:22, Greg Hennessy <greg.hennessy at cox.net> wrote:

>>> On 09/06/2015 08:44 PM, William A Wenrich wrote:
>
WAW>>> The song, "Every breath you take" come across now as pure stalking.
>>>

GH>> It came across then as pure stalking as well.

AYK> Didn't the singer write this to warn his ex that he'd be watching her so
>that she would cheat him or something?
>
>little Alex

Not according to Wikipedia, if we can trust it. Sting was the one who'd been cheating at the time and had broken up with his ex. It was a scandal.
Quoting Wikipedia:

"In order to escape from the public eye, Sting retreated in the Caribbean where he started writing the song.[8] The lyrics are the words of a possessive lover who is watching "every breath you take; every move you make".
I woke up in the middle of the night with that line in my head, sat down at the piano and had written it in half an hour. The tune itself is generic, an aggregate of hundreds of others, but the words are interesting. It sounds like a comforting love song. I didn't realize at the time how sinister it is. I think I was thinking of Big Brother, surveillance and control.—Sting
Sting later said he was disconcerted by how many people think the song is more positive than it is. He insists it's about the obsession with a lost lover, and the jealousy and surveillance that follow. 'One couple told me 'Oh we love that song; it was the main song played at our wedding!" I thought, "Well, good luck.'"1[10] When asked why he appears angry in the music video Sting told BBC Radio 2, 'I think the song is very, very sinister and ugly and people have actually misinterpreted it as being a gentle little love song, when it's quite the opposite.' "
cheers,Elin