[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing, was Character Study: Gregor - Job dissatisfaction

Gwynne Powell gwynnepowell at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 7 11:49:55 BST 2015

> From: "M. Haller Yamada" thefabmadamem at yahoo.com

> Micki: After all, a lot of The Warrior's Apprentice was about how Miles garbled and
> romanticized his parents' (and Elena's parents') experiences during the war with
> (at?) Escobar. I can definitely see Miles getting part of it wrong, and spinning
> the rest to suit his present persona and his audience.

It's interesting in Vor Game when Miles muses on Gregor's ignorance
about Serg's real nature, but he never stops to wonder if there's anything
he himself doesn't know, or what secrets his parents are keeping from him.
Although maybe, growing up surrounded by so much that was Top Secret,
he just learned not to look too hard past a certain limit.

But I like it when he's spinning a mixture of lies and truth to Cavillo, especially
 when some of what he thinks are lies are really the truth, and vice versa. He's
stunning, in full-on forward momentum mode, and it's just hilarious and brilliant.
And it's marvellous to see Cavillo being so totally outclassed.

Gwynne