[LMB] Attract vs. chased

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:04:12 BST 2015

On Sun, Sep 6, 2015 at 9:08 PM, fishman at panix.com <fishman at panix.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 6, 2015, at 20:44, William A Wenrich <wawenri at msn.com> wrote:
> >
> > Here I think we come up against changes in language and attitudes
>
> Thank you, William. At least someone understood the way that I meant my
> original comment.
>
> Harvey
> --

Yes, I understood you quite well.  That attitude has been around forever,
and unappreciated for about that long.

Jane Austen on "the chase"

``Really, Mr. Collins
<http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/ppdrmtis.html#WilliamCollins>,'' cried
Elizabeth <http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/ppdrmtis.html#ElizabethBennet>
with some warmth, ``you puzzle me exceedingly. If what I have hitherto said
can appear to you in the form of encouragement, I know not how to express
my refusal in such a way as may convince you of its being one.''

``You must give me leave to flatter myself, my dear cousin, that your
refusal of my addresses is merely words of course. My reasons for believing
it are briefly these: -- It does not appear to me that my hand is unworthy
your acceptance, or that the establishment I can offer would be any other
than highly desirable. My situation in life, my connections with the family
of De Bourgh, and my relationship to your own, are circumstances highly in
its favor; and you should take it into farther consideration that in spite
of your manifold attractions, it is by no means certain that another offer
of marriage may ever be made you. Your portion is unhappily so small
<http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/pptopic2.html#monmarr1> that it will in
all likelihood undo the effects of your loveliness and amiable
qualifications. As I must therefore conclude that you are not serious in
your rejection of me, I shall chuse to attribute it to your wish of
increasing my love by suspense, according to the usual practice of elegant
females.''
(http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/ppv1n19.html)

Sylvia