[LMB] COC Chapter 24 - Reunion and Union

Sylvia McIvers sylviamcivers at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:50:38 BST 2015

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 7:19 PM, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net> wrote:

> You made me look.    Dictionaries didn’t help, but Wikipedia did.  I never
> knew that in past times, trenchers were made of bread.    How long did that
> definition last?
> --

I always* read in medieval times, the lady of the manor or senchal would
give 'broken breads' and 'broken meat' to the poor.  And the meat drippings
and gravy would soak into the hard bread, making it tastier.

Sylvia

* when i was a kid, i read a lot of stories set in castles. i dunno how
well researched they were, but the duty of charity-with-food was a
recurring theme