[LMB] graphic art

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Mon Sep 7 17:02:07 BST 2015

[LMB] graphic art
Bill Masek billmasek at comcast.net
Mon Sep 7 16:38:35 BST 2015

Bill:  I have been thinking about what icon to use for the ebook
series.  I do not read every message so I apologize if this has already
been proposed.

As far as I can tell there is no single icon for all of the books,
especially if you include Falling Free.  (You might say the Uterine
Replicator, but it also is not in all of the books.)  In my mind that is
one of the strengths of the books.  They are different stories set in
the same universe.  A common point for the rest of the books is Count
Vorkosigan.  What if the icon is the seal of Count Vorlosigan?  And each
cover has that as a component.  You could even leave it off of the
Falling Free cover.  You might also leave it off of Ethan of Athos,
although Quinn really is a Miles character.

LMB:  Good thinking, but, on the 4th pass, we are trending toward
unifying the series with a distinctive art and title/graphics style,
with a different iconic image that represents the theme of each book.
Ron has already come up with some exceedingly cool ones, we've used some
of the ideas generated by the chat list, and a neuron of mine even fired
for _Falling Free_.  None of this is ready for public display yet, as
it's still in the prelim sketches stage, but I'm very excited about it.

We might could still use a bit more brainstorming for _Memory_, _A Civil
Campaign_, and, if we eventually work around to them for the UK,
_Cryoburn_ and _Captain Vorpatril's Alliance_.  So by all means keep
talking, but focus down on "theme of the book, what simple image says it
at a glance?"

Ta, L.