[LMB] Birthday Tixie

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 04:53:05 BST 2015

A huge basket of berry oatmeal muffins with birthday candles on top showed up in
the List oven today. I managed to unwedge it from the cooking appliance-slash-
interdimensional portal, and was shocked that there was still something in the
oven. First a head, then broad shoulders covered in Imperial Dress Greens, and
finally, cavalry boots emerge, and Tall, Dark and Handsome was standing in the
middle of kitchenette.

“Oh-ho,” said he, “This is where Ma Kosti’s cakes have been going this month.”

I blushed. “The baked goods just kept appearing. And there’s no return address.
I’m afraid we’ve eaten them.”

Ivan peered through the beads hanging in the doorway, and apparently determined
that the coast was clear. He reached into the oven, and brought out a golden
amulet. “It’s not strictly this universe, you understand, but I found this during
a fanfic last month. It’s an Everlasting Cake medallion.”

He placed it over the basket, and proceeded to the main salon. I trailed after,
struck so dumb by his presence that I couldn’t even emit a small squee. He passed
the muffins around, pausing to give Gwynne a hug, a kiss on the cheek, and a
kitten. He sauntered back to the oven, handed the amulet to me, and wriggled his
way back through to Barrayar. Or so I assume.

Well. Dear listees, what can I say? I silently wave the tixie wand. A box of
individual serving bleu cheese packets thumps down in the middle of the
kitchenette. Mmmm. Surprisingly good with today’s muffins. Happy Birthday Gwynne!