[LMB] analogy: Quintarians are to Quadrenes as Betans are to Barrayarans

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 12:23:25 BST 2015

On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 12:36 AM, Margaret Devere <margaret at devere.net>
wrote:

> Gwynne writes:
>
> I don't think the gods take much notice of who is being worshipped. It
> matters for the Temple, and the organisations for each god - they need the
> money to support themselves, and the work they do in the community.

I've occasionally wondered things along those lines myself. All I have for
textev is that the gods appeared to care who got credit for receiving souls
in funerals (Hallowed Hunt, the scene with Fafa and Ingrey).

> Me:
>
> Free-associating to this ....
>
> What evidence do we have that the five gods are really five different
> entities? Why couldn't they be one entity with multiple manifestations or
> faces or aspects? Or even five different projections of human desire, built
> up and codified over time?

We have the Creation Myth in Paladin of Souls, chapter 3. It's not direct
evidence, but considering the types of experiences that the various saints
have had, I'm not willing to rule out the descriptions of the origins of
the gods just because we haven't seen the gods themselves tell the tales
directly.