[LMB] analogy: Quintarians are to Quadrenes as Betans are to Barrayarans

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Sat Sep 12 00:50:12 BST 2015

> Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 19:38:12 -0400
> To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
> From: pgranzeau at cox.net
> Subject: Re: [LMB] analogy: Quintarians are to Quadrenes as Betans	are to Barrayarans
>
> At 09:06 AM 9/11/2015, Gwynne Powell wrote:
> >We see the Son in HH. He's actually better than I expected - not
> >some war-crazed
> >lout. He's reasoned and caring, smart and patient.
>
> And yet, Caz, at Gotorgot (sp?) felt that his following the Son was
> doing his men no good, threw away his medal, and gave himself to
> whomever would save his men.  Evidently, the Daughter took him up on
> his bargain. . . .

The Son had carried him as far as he could go that time. Now it was time to be taken up by another god who could guide him in what his next career would be. And all the Son's virtues would not have helped him on that Roknari galley; sheer, brute endurance and that odd, accepting frame of mind one can get when at rock bottom - and his wits. Remember who the goddess of intelligence is!