[LMB] Son of Autumn, was analogy: Quintarians are to Quadrenes as Betans are to Barrayarans

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Sat Sep 12 14:20:19 BST 2015

> From: estowe427 at gmail.com
> Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2015 07:36:05 -0400
> To: lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk
> Subject: [LMB] Son of Autumn,	was analogy: Quintarians are to Quadrenes as Betans	are	to	Barrayarans
>

> es: Interesting. The Son might be my favorite. He reminds me of several exceptional teachers/coaches who can take a belligerent, uncommunicative 19-year-old boy -- you know, one of those kids who is all brawn but he's uncoordinated and his power of judgment as not developed as quickly as his strength and size and ability to do things -- and teach him to see himself as an adult. I'm not saying it right, but those men amaze me. (I am specifically talking about men here, fellow feminists.)
>
> Ingrey grows over the course of his story in that he finds in himself depths of compassion, the ability to listen, and the confidence to express his own wishes. I know he is helped by Ijada, Hallana, Lewko, and Fafa's owner (I can't remember his name, but he is the closest to another Son in the story). The Son doesn't do much, but each time he interacts with Ingrey, he shows the young tough something pivotal about himself.
>
> My least favorite is the Mother of Summer who simply made Ista's life hell. Yes, yes, I know that Ista wasn't ready and all that. But that doesn't make me like the goddess.
>
> I like the Daughter of Spring and the Bastard. While the Bastard helps Ista grow, I think she needs less intervention than Ingrey.
>
> I'm cool on the Father of Winter. I'd like to see more about his justice side than his warrior side. Personally, I see Arhys as a sentimental candidate for having a great soul, unlike Ista, Caz, and Umegat who have to change radically.

Yes! The beloved coach or drill instructor who features in more than one biography of someone who made it to the big leagues.

As for Fafa's owner, that is a name I will NOT forget in a hurry. Jokol SKullsplitter! Partly because of the big volcano (Jokul in Icelandic) in Iceland in our own world that stopped air traffic for several days. And partly because of the lovely subversion of the meaning of a standard Viking nickname.