[LMB] CoC Chapter 27 -- Shakespeare -- Sonnet 130[1]

Elizabeth Stowe estowe427 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 22:55:52 BST 2015

Walter: After much contemplation I decided to start with Caz with
the sword in him and on his knees. There he kneels sword in
belly having accomplished his great goal freeing Chalion from
the curse and even uniting Chalion and Ibra and having
experieced the beatific vision, and a keen appreciation of matter.

es: I applaud your selection.

Walter: Betriz rubs her face after
the kiss, a detail that foreshadows future events.

es: I didn't connect the two. Thanks.

Walter: Iselle commands him to live, not for the first time.

es: Interesting. She does it twice, and neither time is it in her power to command. What does that suggest?

Walter: <snip> this scene gives us more info about the main
characters and is a pean of praise for our material lives. And
the people struck down including the Boacian captain probably
are that way because they were given notice that their lives should
have been better.

es: It's neat that Caz has just contemplated that the distance between the real world and the spirit world is less than paper thin. Then, his experience of the Daughter's world gives him a super-microscopic appreciation of the real world. Also, I like the fact that the Baocian captain is never named. His identity is of a position he fails.

Walter: Now back to how this happened. Caz finds himself fighting for time
blocking an entrance where he can fight one at a time, giving time
for the royals to escape a Daughter's Day attack from dy Jironal and
his forces.

es: During this fight Caz isn't bothered by Dondo or pain.

Walter: The Boacian captain manages to disarm him, and Cazaril
in a valiant last ditch effort at distraction goads dy Jironal into
murdering him. Caz dies, has his beatific vision and watches the curse
being lifted and is returned to life. Oh, as a side note the dy Jironal
dies violently as the death demon carries off dy Jironal and Dondo off.

es: I know the math that's on Cazaril's mind is the number of deaths he has suffered (now the total is 3). But Martou dy Jironal -- does he die from the death demon that has been inside Caz? How does that work if the Daughter can't move pebbles? Is it that the demon CAN zip fire (like the attack on Potifors in Paladin of Souls)? And Dondo is just over, right? Why does the demon not want a living body? Is it because he was brought into the picture as part of death magic and should have taken Cazaril when Dondo died?

Walter included Shakespeare's sonnet 130. I loved teaching kids this poem. At the start of the discussion, they thought it was a love poem. Afterwards, they weren't so sure. They didn't like the idea of not being seen as ideal by their boyfriend or girlfriend. Then we read some of the really extravagant poems Shakespeare was mocking. I think this is a great poem for adults.