[LMB] OT: Blended Diet Families and The Last Pratchett, was: Birthday Tixie

A. Marina Fournier saffronrose at me.com
Mon Sep 14 06:47:23 BST 2015

On 13 Sep 2015, at 07:49, M. Haller Yamada <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Marina:
> Which holiday would that be?
> Micki: Silver Week!!!!
> I'm so happy! The holidays happen to fall so that we get five days off in
> a row (and Thursday and Friday at work). This is a play on Golden Week in the
> spring (which often works out to five days off, at least), and also the silver hair
> of Respect for the Aged Day. (Now the third Monday in September). It's also Fall
> Equinox Day, too, and we get the one in the middle off. By the way, the Silver Week
> is just Japanized -- Shirubaa Uiiku.

Thought it might have something to do with the Equinox.

> Marina: I learned on Monday that I'd been saying Tachikawa not in the Japanese way,
> and hope to do better in the future, now that I've heard the correct pronunciation.
>
> Micki: Japanese can be surprisingly difficult for a regular language.

What I didn’t realize was that it has the same flavor of ski'yaki (sukiyaki), tetsko (a woman’s name, Tetsuko, having something to do with iron (think tetsubin, an iron tea pot).

> They drop some "u"s and the tone can be very flat.

Getting the flat part is a challenge for me, has been for some time.

> Forvo dot com is a good place to ask for
> pronunciations of words, IME. Writing can be a great crutch, but it leads to first-
> language flavoring of the words, I find.

Makes sense—thanks for all the info.

A. Marina Fournier
SaffronRose at me.com
Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves, or we know where we can find information upon it.

Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) English writer, lexicographer, critic Comment (18 Apr 1775)