[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing, was Character Study: Gregor - Job dissatisfaction

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Wed Sep 16 14:18:08 BST 2015

I often fail to appreciate the "improvements" made to stories in the
revisions done by authors revising them to "modern" standards, and/or
tweaking things for retconning.   I was not thrilled with the sample of an
expanded story which went from one epublisher to one which publishes longer
stories, I liked the as-published by the original publisher section, better.

The writer may be a more polished writer years/decades later, but that is
not necessarily what the -readers- read the material for.  And especially,
if the writer has gone off in directions the readers not happy about,
revising the older work to reflect those directions is a detraction.
(Hypothetical example-writers who have had their work get progressively
deeper into BDSM especially male dom, female sub, rewriting earlier SF/F
with heavy romance content, to amplify any BDSM or add it if it were not
there originally, particularly in the male dom, female sub variety... I
would be very unappreciative.

50 Shades of Gray
Twilight-fan-fic-derivative-with-all-the-paranormal-elements-excised-and-BDSM-bad-paint-job*-applied
is a manifestation of the commercialization and sales of BDSM content stuff,
but it doesn;t mean -I- am appreciative.  (I did not get one page into
looking at 50 Shades, regardless of anything else, present tense prose
narration in fiction, or even travelogues which the travel is -past-, is a
near-certainty of irritating me to "I am NOT going to bother reading this!"
levels. )

Oh, less hypothetical example--Laurell K. Hamilton lost a share of her
original audience, though has kept the gained audience, with the level of
explicit sex and the the level of kinky sex her writing went into.   The
paranormal mystery readers who wanted Anita Blake focused on detective work
solving paranormal murders, and who found/find Explicit and particulary
Kinky Explici Sex Relationship Stuff tedious/objectionable, mourn the change
and mostly stopped reading/buying.

--Paula Lieberman