[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing,

mmjustus at mmjustus.com mmjustus at mmjustus.com
Wed Sep 16 20:39:51 BST 2015

On Wed, September 16, 2015 11:05 am, John Lennard wrote:
> As to the rest, consistency, yes, but where that's orthography (including
>  hyphenation) well, hello global search-and-replace.

Tony:
> Powerful tools have dangers...

Not nearly the story that Tony tells, but the first edition of my book
Repeating History had a place named Annaho mentioned in it at least once.
And a -- fortunately very minor -- character whose last name was George
abruptly changed to William.

See, post-copy editor I'd decided to change one character's name from Ida to
Anna, and another's first name from George to William (mostly because the
basis for all three characters were real historical people, and I decided at
the last minute that it probably wasn't a good idea to use their real names
since I'd changed them so much), and I performed global search-and-replaces
to do so...

They didn't get caught until one of my first readers kindly pointed them out
to me.

Megaera