[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing,

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Wed Sep 16 20:55:11 BST 2015

[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing,
Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Wed Sep 16 18:20:44 BST 2015

LMB:   Should there's be they're for plural case in dialogue when
 >the speaker is not a pedant or copy-editor?

Pete:  As I was learnt, a three dot ellipse signifies a sentence has not
ended.  A four dot, ellipse signifies what is missing are additional
sentences, but the current sentence has ended. . . .

LMB:  The first is a problem when the erroneous version is what the
character would say in casual or rapid speech.  The second... in
dialogue, a lot of punctuation is used not for grammar, but as stage
directions for how the line is to be verbally delivered.  Which
sometimes conflicts with the strict grammar.  Which should win?

Pete:  An individual's rank or position gets capitalized, in general, I
believe.

LMB:  This is apparently not the case anymore (not to be confused with
any more.)  So, "Mr. President?" said the reporter, but, "The president
of the United States entered the room."

The two end cases are clear and easy to discern.  "We looked for Emperor
Gregor." -- direct address, gets capped.  "More than one emperor of
Barrayar came to a bad end."  Small-e, emperor in general.  But in the
huge majority of uses in my books where the emperor (or count, or
regent) is a speaking, present character, what then?

I've just decapped 5 book-files, 12 more to go, so whichever way I
decide/undecide I'm going to be looking at this issue till I go blind.

Ta, L.