[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Thu Sep 17 00:26:49 BST 2015

 > On Sep 16, 2015, at 4:43 PM, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk>
wrote:

 >> LMB:  This is apparently not the case anymore (not to be confused with
 >> any more.)  So, "Mr. President?" said the reporter, but, "The president
 >> of the United States entered the room."
 >
 > That's my understanding too- if it's referring to a particular general,
 > it's "General Smith".  But you'd say: "The general sat at his desk."

LMB:  The trouble with that is, in the context of a story, the general
(or admiral) sitting at his desk _is_ a particular individual...
("Direct address" seems to go wrong less, as a way of thinking about it.)

The alternative to having one rule and sticking to it, even if the
results seem off, is to have a nervous breakdown over every damn
sentence/word occurrence when trying to aesthetically judge if it's In
or Out.  In books where the occurrences number in the hundreds, this is
a problem.  And I'm quickly running out of books to edit where it's not
an issue because the instances don't arise much, sigh.

Ta, L.