[LMB] Vor?

Karen Hunt huntkc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 12:38:41 BST 2015

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 2:26 AM, Alex Y. Kwan <litalex at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 17 September 2015 at 07:25, Marc Wilson <marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > I can't remember where I came across this minor fact, but apparently
> > "Vor" is Russian for "thief".
> >
> > This gave me the same level of amusement as the discovery that "Tory"
> > was an old epithet for a highway robber.
> >
> > Sorry if this is old hat on the list; it was new to me. :)
>
> Sorry, but, it wasn't new to the characters either. Somewhere, Duv said
> something like, "So Vor does mean thief."

That has a history. As I understand it, Lois didn't know Vor was a word for
an aristocratic/upper-class thief in Russian when she came up with the
prefix, but a fan told her about it at one point.

The quote is from Memory, right after Duv has learned that Laisa is going
to marry Gregor - he was talking to Miles and Ivan over the com at the time.

The Russian versions of the books have the prefix as For instead of Vor
(I'm not about to try to put Cyrillic characters up on my screen, sorry) so
that the "thief" meaning is de-emphasized. That way the jokes are still
easy to make, but the characters aren't going around calling each other
Thief-Kosigan and Thief-Barra.

There's some discussion of it on the wikia, at the end of the Vor article:
http://vorkosigan.wikia.com/wiki/Vor

Karen Hunt