[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing

Paula Lieberman paal at filker.org
Thu Sep 17 14:18:51 BST 2015

The rules I'm used to tend to be, a specific title is rather like a proper
name,  as e.g. President Drew Faust of Harvard.   A president of a
university or country, not specifying a particular person, tends to not be a
proper noun/name.  The President of the United States of Amercia generaly ==
proper noun/designation.  The Duke of Windsor designates a partiular
person/proper noun/itle of a person or sequence of persons, while "a duke"
doesn't.

Saying "the Captain" when referring to a specific person and emphasizing
that, as opposed to "report to the captain" where the emphasis is on the
rank and not the person who has the rank, tends to involved capitalization.
There's an emphasis verbally that print doesn't show without the
capitalization, where the syllable "cap" gets held longer when emphasizing
the particular person rather than the generic person who has the rank

--Paula Lieberman