[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing

Lois McMaster Bujold lbujold at myinfmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:06:46 BST 2015

[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing
Roberta Wright ravenenterprises at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 16:06:47 BST 2015

 >> > That's my understanding too- if it's referring to a particular
general,
 >> > it's "General Smith".  But you'd say: "The general sat at his desk."
 >>

 >> LMB:  The trouble with that is, in the context of a story, the
general (or
 >> admiral) sitting at his desk _is_ a particular individual...  ("Direct
 >> address" seems to go wrong less, as a way of thinking about it.)
 >>
 >> The alternative to having one rule and sticking to it, even if the
results
 >> seem off, is to have a nervous breakdown over every damn sentence/word
 >> occurrence when trying to aesthetically judge if it's In or Out.  In
books
 >> where the occurrences number in the hundreds, this is a problem.
And I'm
 >> quickly running out of books to edit where it's not an issue because the
 >> instances don't arise much, sigh.
 >>
 >> this link:
http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/209631/do-military-titles-get-capitalized
looks at the question of capitalization. interestingly, it shows that the
expert guides cant even agree on what is correct.

LMB:  Aargh!  (whimper...)

Ta, L.  (Also, thanks for the link, but still... argh.)