[LMB] late-series copy-editing/copyediting/copy editing

Marc Wilson marc.wilson at gmx.co.uk
Fri Sep 18 16:55:18 BST 2015

On Thu, 17 Sep 2015 19:02:49 -0600, Howard Brazee <howard at brazee.net>
wrote:

>> <rant>
>> I'd be deliriously happy if everyone would agree that a day BEGINS
>> at 00:00:00, and anything prior to that is 23:59:59.99999999999999999 etc,
>> ad inifinitum, which is part of the prior day.
>>
>> some people (and worse, computer systems) want to consider that the
>> day ends at 24:00:00.0000000000000000000000 and the next infinitesimally
>> later instant starts the new day. I suppose that works too, but it
>> makes no sense to me.
>>
>> In the former case, midnight is the starting instant of the new day,
>> and the latter, midnight is the trailing instant of the day just ended.
>> </rant>
>

>I did write a program one time that accepted 24:00 as one day and 00:00 as the next day - but both are the same time.
>
>The other ambiguity that is being illogically resolved is accepting 12:00 AM and 12:00 PM.   Those shouldn’t exist!

12 AM is midnight, 12 PM is midday.  I don't see the problem (though I'm
more in favour of 24-hour clocks for any important use).

Based on the fact that 12:00:01 AM is definitely in the morning, so
12:00:00 is held to be the dividing line, and the same for PM.

You could argue the other way, of course, but it's the convention.